2104 Inducted as a Fellow into the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare (October)
2014 New York State Citizens Coalition for Children Award (May)
2014 Hosteter-Habib Award, Family Council (May)
- 2012 Louisiana Adoption Advisory Board Award of Distinction (June)
- 2012 Outstanding Alumni Award – Dominican College, Blauvelt, NY (April)
- 2011 The Judge Richard Ware Award – Louisiana Children’s Trust Fund (November)
- 2011 Child Welfare Advocate Award – Family Focus Adoption Agency (November)
- 2010 Child Advocate of the Year Award – North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) (August).
- 2010 Nominee for 22nd Annual Lambda Literary Award – Transgender category for Social work practice with transgender and gender variant youth. (April).
- 2010 Nominee for 22nd Annual Lambda Literary Award - LGBT Studies category for Social work practice with transgender and gender variant youth. (April).
- 2007 Academic Book of the Year Award, 2006 – Child Welfare for the Twenty-First Century: A Handbook of Practices, Policies, and Programs, co-edited with Peg McCartt Hess from CHOICES, the American Library Journal (January).
- 2006 Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt Public Policy Faculty Seminar (November).
- 2006 Hunter College Presidential Award for Faculty Excellence in Applied Research (April).
- 2005 Faculty Leadership Award, New York State Social Work Educator’s Association (October).
- 2005 LGBTQ Pioneer Award. Child Welfare League of America, Washington, DC (March).
- 2004 Adoption Advocate Award. Center for Family Connections, Cambridge, MA (November).
- 2004 Featured Author at New York is Book Country, New York Times for Gay Men Choosing Parenthood (October).
- 2003 Adoption MVP Award to the NRCFCPP. The National Center for Adoption Law and Policy at the Capitol University Law School: The 5th Annual National Conference,
Columbus, Ohio (October).
- 2001 Nominee for Academic Book of the 90’s. Let's get this straight: A gay and lesbian affirming approach to child welfare from Linguafranca: The Review of Academic Life (April).
- 2001 Nominee for the Colin Higgins Courage Award (April).
- 2001 Recipient of the Roger Caseman/Eva Gore Booth Leadership Award from
The Lavender & Green Alliance (March).
- 1999 Academic Book of the Year Award - We Don't Exactly Get the Welcome Wagon: The Experiences of Gay and Lesbian Adolescents in Child Welfare Systems from CHOICES, the American Library Journal (January).
- 1999 Nominee for the Gay and Lesbian Book of the Year Award - We Don't Exactly get the Welcome Wagon: The Experiences of Gay and Lesbian Adolescents in Child Welfare Systems from the American Library Association (April).
- 1998 Honored for Outstanding Service to Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered
Youth in New York City by the Greenwich Village Youth Council (June).
- 1997 Honored for Outstanding Contributions to Independent Living Programs in Child Welfare in New York City by the South Bronx Human Development Organization (June).